Press statement by H. E. ENG. John Mruttu, Vice-chairman Council of Governors on hiring of staff for the mobile clinics, 31st January, 2017
The Council of Governors is concerned that the Ministry of Health intends to hire health workers to man the controversial containerized mobile clinics for a period of 24 months. Ministry of Health has not come out clearly to state what will happen after the expiry of 24 months. The Council of Governors states as follows:-
1. The move by Ministry of Health breaches Article 6(2), Article189(a) and the Fourth Schedule of the Constitution of Kenya, which talks about distribution of functions between the national government and Counties.
Article 6(2) states, 'the Governments at the National and County levels are distinct and inter dependent and shall conduct their mutual relations on the basis of consultation and corporation'.
Article 189(a)says, governments will 'Performs it functions and exercise its power in a manner that respects the functional and institutional integrity of government at the other level, and respects the constitutional status and institutions of government at the other level, in the case of county government, within the county level'
2. We have noted a statement from PS, Ministry of Health that Public Service Commission has granted permission to the Ministry to recruit health workers for the Counties.
3. Thus, the Council of Governors want to state that the Public Service Commission (PSC) has no mandate in granting Ministry of Health authority to hire County Staff before consulting Counties.
4. The County Governments cannot be forced to take up unplanned additional expense when priority now lies in improving existing facilities and paying our health workers.
5. The Council of Governors is not against the National Government providing additional funding to the Counties but this must be done in accordance with the constitution.
H.E ENG. JOHN MRUTTU
VICE CHAIRMAN, COUNCIL OF GOVERNORS
INAUGURAL SPEECHES BOOK FOR PIONEER GOVERNORS OF THE REPUBLIC OF KENYA, 2013-2017 VOLUME 1
The book is available at a cost of Kshs.2,000
Payment is through Mpesa Paybill
Business No. 339553
Account No. Name of County
If you are in Nairobi, collect your copy from at the Council of Governors Offices- Delta Corner, 2nd Floor in Westlands. However, from outside Nairobi, contact under listed secretariat staff to assist you on how to get the book.
Name: Sylvia Kerubo
Name: Clemency Dorah